Monday, March 8, 2010

{Oscars 2010}

While I do look forward to enjoying all of the "lovely" that goes on during awards season, I always feel a little let down by the fashion; I feel like everything is either "ugly" or "pretty." Save for a few risk-takers, the red carpet is usually strewn with actresses wearing the standard strapless, or as-of-late one-shouldered, dress. I would like to see stars start taking bigger risks on the red carpet again, a la Uma Thurman's 2003 Christian Lacroix gown or Nicole Kidman's 1997 Absinthe gown, part of John Galliano's first couture collection for Christian Dior. But we can't have everything we want, can we? Here's what we were given last night...

Zoe Saldana in Givenchy. I loved this. It is different, ornate, daring, interesting, yet also sophisticated.
Vera Farmiga in Marchesa. She looks like a bunch of raspberry colored cupcake holders stapled together.
Tom Ford in, naturally, Tom Ford. I hope the rumors are true and that he is designing women's wear again, we need some old school influences.
Tina Fey in Michael Kors. Not so sure how I feel about the hair, but I love that Fey, though not always a fashion "hit" doesn't try to be anything that she isn't and sticks to designs she is comfortable in.
Best Actress winner Sandra Bullock in Marchesa. Pretty, but boring. Though I do like the red lip.
Rachel McAdams in Elie Saab. Another one of my favorites. I'll forgive her for the standard strapless since the pattern on the dress is so dream-like and awesome.
Penelope Cruz in Donna Karan. I love Cruz, I think that she chooses dresses that are always risky-enough, yet still classically beautiful. But maybe I am just bias because I have a total girl-crush on her and love her in every movie...
Nicole Richie in Reem Acra. Though this dress almost entirely swallows her tiny frame, I do love how different it is. This is what I'm talking about, dresses that stray away from what is expected.
Miley Cyrus in Jenny Packham. It is nice to finally see Cyrus in something age-appropriate, even if the top is three sizes too small. Also, why is she at the Oscars?
Meryl Streep in Chris March. I love that Streep chose a "Project Runway" alum! I also love that this dress is flattering and subtly sexy.
Mariah Carey in Valentino Haute Couture. I think she always looks trashy and that her clothes don't fit.
Maggie Gyllenhaal in Dries Van Noten. MY FAVORITE! I love the pattern and the sleek column shape of the dress. After the incredible Lanvin patterned number that she wore to the Golden Globes last year, Gyllenhaal has become one of my favorites to watch on the red carpet. And that pink lipstick? I will be heading to Sephora tomorrow.
Kristen Stewart in Monique Lhuillier. Yawn. At least she doesn't look like she just rolled out of bed this time.
Okay, Kathryn Bigelow's look was the one I had the most problems with. If I was nominated against my ex-husband, who happened to be James Cameron, who is stuck-up and has won pretty much every award possible and invented some new kind of technology to make a little movie called Avatar, I would NOT wear this. Especially if I was 58 and looked like she does. At least she won.
Kate Winslet in Atelier Yves Saint Laurent. Yawn, and very un-Winslet. It's also unflattering.
Jennifer Lopez in Armani Prive. That is the prettiest bubble wrap I have ever seen.
Gabourey Sidibe in Marchesa. Love the color, love the sleeves, though the whole look is a little mother-of-the-bride, no?
Elizabeth Banks in Versace. I feel like in any other color this would have been a knock-out.
Diane Kruger in Chanel. I have loved this dress ever since I saw it on the spring/summer 2010 runway, and I'm so glad that yet again Kruger chose something different and unique for the red carpet.
Charlize Theron in Christian Dior. I love the juxtaposition of the soft purple against her bright red lips. I think that the "controversial" rosettes on the top of the dress are very pretty.
Carey Mulligan in Prada. Something about this is off. I think that it is the train, I would have liked the dress if it was short in the front than just skimmed the ground in the back. The train looks like an after-thought.
Cameron Diaz in Oscar de la Renta. Another one of my favorite looks, I love that Diaz did something softer than usual for her on the red carpet. I love her sideswept hair and red lip, what a great look.
Anna Kendrick in Elie Saab Couture. The color totally washes her out, and I don't like the chunky shoes with such a delicate dress. I do love her hair and makeup, but the dress should definitely have been a different color.
Amanda Seyfried in Armani Prive; another piece from their bubble wrap collection I guess. I think the dress is very pretty, but the color of the dress and her makeup totally wash her out. Did you know that she was supposed to come to Fordham University but chose to continuing pursuing acting instead?

Well, there you have it. My candid feelings about last night's Oscar fashions. I agree with Cathy Horyn, fashion journalist for the New York Times, when she said that she thinks it is funny that all of these very fit women who are revered for their bodies covered up in layers of ruffles. Check out the rest of her post here.

** All images courtesy of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment